Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One cannot use Facebook to Change The World



So many thoughts.
I recently found out that my local council has voted against the fluoridation of town water. I, avid believer in all things natural, and a natural medicine student myself (as well as a general person with an open mind who is lately studying everything she finds fascinating and meaningful!) am quite happy with this.

And I decided to express my happiness on facebook.

And didn’t I get the cynics.

I am getting out of the phase of expressing my opinions on other people’s status updates or posts when they post something that I am against, or when I have even read the studies that show elsewise. I still do every now and then, but have since settled for the fact that people in general are opinionated and stubborn when it comes to their own opinions and arrogance. And I am guilty of it myself. I couldn’t help but express my concern over how a radio station has changed over the past 10 years and turned into something that is exactly what it was against 10 years ago, and people pop in and tell me don’t listen to it – but they just missed the point. And obviously didn’t listen to Triple J 10-20 years ago . . . but that’s not the point to myself now.

But after posting this status on facebook, and getting everyone going against me the moment I do about how they have perfect teeth and how fluoride has worked for them, and how I mustn’t have fluoride damage to my teeth even though I stated that I only found out after a dental surgeon saw them and tested them and mentioned it to me after years of being pissed off about my teeth looking like shit . . .

But no, I wasn’t right. Flouride is all bollocks because the people that commented stated that they had never had an issue with their teeth, and they have been through fluoridated water and non-fluoridated water amnd never had an issue.
Just like all those other people who have been drinking the same water I have for the past 25 years who don’t have the same issues as I do . . .
Everyone is different.

Just liken everyone has different opinions for different reasons. Its’ like there is no scientific basis to fact anymore . . . especially with the information overload known as the internet. I must say I have focused on some studies such as dairy and cancer being linked,e tc. And found fruitful information, enough to convince me. But there are still those bouts of proof against, as there is always. Makes you wonder what and who to trust these days. What do you believe? Especially with my Naturopathy studies, where what I have learnt over and over is that dairy, grains, sugar and meat all feed cancer, adn cause cancer. Spinach is an awesome green food.
But then . .  I am a Blood  Type O. My blood type is mainly meat and vegetables, but it also tells me to avoid spinach and sprouts. Meanwhile, meat is bad for you, but spinach and sprout are awesome . .. but you can’t eat them., It doesn’t make sense to me.
Raw diets are good for you .  ..  but there are numerous fruits and vegetables that actually provide you with more nutrients when they are cooked, as opposed to raw. And apparently, it is easier for your body to digest when it is cooked, as opposed to being raw.
A diet of high fibre is good for you and prevents cancer . .. but other studies show it strongly linked.
There are numerous little pinpoints like this throughout my studies I have picked up. And whilst the majority of my studies is basic anatomy and physiology adn sciene studies so far, it’s the assignments imbetween, and the world I have engaged myself ;and am moving deeper and deeper into everyday, that are all teaching me these little things.

I’m just over it. I really, fucking am.

I am making my own list of life lessons and philosophies for myself, judged on everything I have learned in my first 25 years of life. And no doubt this will all change again years down the line. But for now, I stick by what I see and know.

And fuck what everyone else thinks.

I think I am keen to vow never to update my status on facebook ever, ever again. Or perhaps I can challenge myself, like I have life doing with various other thigns in life lately, to at least not update my status, nor comment on another’s status,f or the rest of the eyar.

I wonder if there is any point in sharing the numerous inspiring, meaning quotes and pictures and articles that all point towards how ot make a better world, and proof of why our world is falling apart in the first place.
People just ignore that shit anyway. Facebook is not the way to change the world. I would have thought that all these quotes and “pictorials” that pop up on one’s newsfeeds mean that lazy people don;t actually have to read much, look at much or think much when gazing upon these . . . .but it would appear otherwise. People still skim past them. Or they read them and think “Meh, who gives a shit I got my own life to life.”

I don;t know how people can be so selfish to live their own life and be happy when the world around them is falling to pieces. It doesn’t seem that bad to those who close their minds and choose not to read the paper or watch the news, who choose to walk past that homeless person in the street, or shield themselves from those stands at the markets and expos or in shopping centres that post pictures of turtles choking on plastic bags. A feeling of guilt perhaps . . .

It;s like they say the world begins with YOU. With your THOUGHTS. With thoughts we create the world. But what use is that saying when the thoughts are stuck inside your head? It’s not until these thoughts become ACTIONS that the world will actually change. Some people might sit there and walk past these environmental stands that are asking for a simple signature or a donation to afford to buy back rainforest to prevent logging and development and keep the habitat of all those animals that are vital to the biodiversity of the planet, and therefore the health of the planet, and therefore the health of ourselves . . . .they will walk past and ignore these people, in case it is “shameful” to be seen helping the “hippies” or they might walk past thinking “Hmm I do agree and I do support the cause . . .but I couldn;t be fucked stopping today, especially in case they start dribbling shit to me about irrelevant crap that bores me”.
Their thoughts are there . ..  but the actions are not.

  




3 comments:

  1. ha, I don't even know where to start. everyone has an opinion these days, on everything, but no one tolerates other opinions any longer if they're just slightly different. happens on my blog all the time. I describe a general observation and people say that it's different for them so what I see can't be right. or they state that they decided not to care and so should I. having a firm point of view and uncomfortable opinions are not popular character traits. people don't like their believes and attitudes challenged. this would require them to think, which goes against their sense of entitlement and doesn't provide instant gratification. it's all very sad. but I'm positive that it's going to change again. these trends always get worse before they get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. opinions are like arseholes, darling girl. Everyone has one and everyone uses it, but we don't need to share them ;)

    the food thing is a tough one - soooo many conflicting theories... I think you are treating it in precisely the right way, by finding out what works for YOU. If in doubt I reckon the maxim 'Everything in moderation' is the best way to go.
    Interesting points about instant gratification and the masses not having the focus to read things these days. I think our political system (across the Western world, not just here) works on a 'divide and conquer' premise to get people concerned primarily about themselves and to neglect others, not realising that others are in fact in the same position and if we all acknowledged that, there is tremendous power in numbers. By encouraging mental separation there is less chance of a group forming to upset the status quo.

    I like your take on the world, and even more I like the fact that you THINK about things more deeply than the cursory glances most of us give to things unless and until they affect us right here and right now.

    Keep on keeping on xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. heya, just thought I let you know that I gave up my old blog and am now writing at www.talulaah.com. in case you want to stop by one day :)

    ReplyDelete